[Linux-cluster] GFS and GFS2 : two questions: which is bettter; gfs_controld error

Ian Brown ianbrn at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 08:04:23 UTC 2007

Hello,
I had ran "modprobe gfs" and I see by lsmod the the gfs module is loaded.

also I had verified that under /lib/modules/MyKernelVersion/extra/gfs/ there is
gfs.ko.

Then I try:

gfs_mkfs -p lock_dlm -t myCLuster -j 32 /dev/cciss/c0d1p2
mount /dev/cciss/c0d1p2 /mnt/gfs

The errors I see in the console are:
/sbin/mount.gfs: lock_dlm_join: gfs_controld join error: -22
/sbin/mount.gfs: error mounting lockproto lock_dlm

The error I see in kernel log is:
gfs_controld[32629]: mount: not in default fence domain

I want to add that the cman service is started succesfully as the
kernel log shows.

I want also to add that "service cman start" performs modprbe of gfs2 module
and not gfs module !

Namely, I ran rmmod gfs; then, after :
service cman stop
and
rmmod lock_dlm
rmmod gfs2

running  lsmod | grep gfs2 shows that
no gfs2 is loaded,
and after "service cman start" I see by
 lsmod | grep gfs2
gfs2                  522965  1 lock_dlm

which means that starting the cman service performed modprobe/insmod
of gfs2 and lock_dlm

Is this how things should be?

rgs,
Ian