[Linux-cluster] Small Cluster, Port Trunking, To use switch or not?

Balagopal Pillai pillai at mathstat.dal.ca
Fri Sep 7 16:17:02 UTC 2007

Hi,

For 802.3ad bonding mode, the switch needs to support lacp. Static
trunking feature on the switch
is not enough. In your case with no switch support, mode 6 or adaptive
load balancing is a good option.
Round robin is the only mode that will give you more than an interface
worth of throughput on a single connection.
But that needs some switch support. (like cisco etherchannel for
example) Also there is additional overhead
due to out of the order packets. The other modes will give better
aggregate throughput.

Regards
Balagopal