[Linux-cluster] TTL on multicast packets set to 1 by default?

Nikolas Lam nlam87346 at library.usyd.edu.au
Thu Sep 20 08:59:23 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 01:25 -0700, Steven Dake wrote:
> My apologies I must have missed that email.
>
> The code in openais is untested in a routed environment because I dont
> have any routed environments to test with.  This is why TTL is not
> configurable in the current openais or tested with any values greater
> then 1.  I can build you an RPM with ttl set to some greater value to
> test with if you like.
>
> Regards
> -steve

In case anyone else is interested, we're trialling using iptables to
increase the TTL on those multicast packets so that they'll get routed.

(Sorry I meant to add this in my previous email)

Here's the rule:

iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -d <multicast address> -j TTL --ttl-set 128

Where <multicast address> is replaced by whatever your cman is using (you can
get an idea of this using netstat -gn).

Cheers,

Nik Lam