[Linux-cluster] CS4 U5 / recommended quorumd values for a two nodes cluster

Marc - A. Dahlhaus [ Administration | Westermann GmbH ] mad at wol.de
Tue Sep 25 08:37:15 UTC 2007

Hello,

Am Dienstag, den 25.09.2007, 08:59 +0200 schrieb Alain Moulle:
> Hi
>
> As said before, I'm trying for the first time to
> add a quorum disk on my two nodes cluster.
> Finally, I've set parameters as below :
>
>         <quorumd interval="1" tko="10" votes="1" log_level="9"
> log_facility="local4" status_file="/tmp/qdisk_status" label="CS4QUORUMDISK">
>         </quorumd>
> and
> 	<clusternode name="node1" votes="1">
> and
> 	<clusternode name="node2" votes="1">
> and
>         <cman expected_votes="3" two_node="0"/>

Your problem lies here: expected_votes="3"

Your qdisk is not a regular Node, it is a helper in your setup to
provide the own vote to make the system quorate so it can start.

You should calculate your votes like this:
( votes % 2 ) + 1

So you should use this: expected_votes="2"

In addition you should really read the FAQ:

http://sourceware.org/cluster/faq.html

> With these parameters values for my two nodes cluster, I have
> to launch the Cluster Suite on both nodes, it can't be
> launched on one node only because cman detects "not quorate".
>
> Is there a way to avoid this ? to be able to launch CS4 only
> on one side ?
> Could somebody give me the advised values for such a two-nodes cluster ?
>
> By the way, how can I be shure that quorum disk is really used , where can
> I see traces ? (I see nothing in syslog)
>
> Thanks a lot for your help
> Alain Moullé

Marc