[Linux-cluster] propagating expected=N

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Wed Sep 26 23:02:08 UTC 2007

Folks,
	Quick question on clusters where nodes are off.  I have a
cluster with four nodes.  They are all off.  I turn one on and start
cman.  The cluster services hang on this node because there is no
quorum.  I then run "cman_tool expected -e 1" to tell cman there is only
one node.  cman becomes quorate and fences the other three nodes.  Now
this node is a happy one-node cluster.
	Then I turn on a second node and start cman.  It is my
understanding that when the second node comes up, the first node will
automatically bump expected to 2.  It does just that, and the first node
is happy.  *However*, the second node does not see expected=2.  It sees
expected=4.  I had to run "cman_tool expected -e 2" on the second node
before it became quorate.
	Shouldn't the second node get the expected value from the first
node?  Shouldn't it just go quorate?

Joel

--

"There are some experiences in life which should not be demanded
 twice from any man, and one of them is listening to the Brahms Requiem."

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle
E-mail: joel.becker at oracle.com