[Linux-cluster] How do you set up a Virtual IP Service??

James Fillman JFillman at cucbc.com
Wed Sep 26 23:20:05 UTC 2007

First off, I have to say that the documentation for cluster suite is
horrible. Trying to find explanations and examples of cluster.conf
syntax is impossible. Where do you got learn you got configure services,
resources, failover domains?

Anyway, I want to set up a vip service that belongs to a failover
domain. How do I do it? This is the config I've come up with so far. It
looks fine based on the information that I've scrapped up, but it
doesn't work. I've got verbose logging turned on and I see no errors.

For a vip that's managed by rgmanager, I assume that it shouldn't be
started and stopped by init upon server start/stops. That would mean NOT
having an entry in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/.  Correct??

Are there any command line tools to test this with?

Here's a snippet of my cluster.conf file:

<cluster alias="test cluster" config_version="7" name="test cluster">
        <fence_daemon clean_start="0" post_fail_delay="0"
post_join_delay="3"/>
        <clusternodes>
                <clusternode name="clxp02cluster.cucbc.com" nodeid="1"
votes="1"/>
                <clusternode name="clxp01cluster.cucbc.com" nodeid="2"
votes="1"/>
        </clusternodes>
        <cman expected_votes="1" two_node="1"/>
        <fencedevices/>
        <rm>
                <failoverdomains/>
                <resources/>
                <service autostart="1" name="Network Sysloging"
domain="syslog">
                        <ip address="172.17.54.210" monitor_link="1"/>
                        <script file="/etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog-ng"
name="syslog-ng"/>
                </service>
                <failoverdomains>
                        <failoverdomain name="syslog" ordered="1"
restricted="1">
                                <failoverdomainnode
name="clxp02cluster.cucbc.com" priority="2"/>
                                <failoverdomainnode
name="clxp01cluster.cucbc.com" priority="1"/>
                        </failoverdomain>
                        <failoverdomain name="splunk" ordered="1"
restricted="1">
                                <failoverdomainnode
name="clxp02cluster.cucbc.com" priority="1"/>
                                <failoverdomainnode
name="clxp01cluster.cucbc.com" priority="2"/>
                        </failoverdomain>
                </failoverdomains>
        </rm>
</cluster>