[Linux-cluster] About GFS1 and I/O barriers.

Wendy Cheng s.wendy.cheng at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 15:57:44 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Steven Whitehouse <swhiteho at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Now I agree that it would be nice to support barriers in GFS2, but it
> won't solve any problems relating to ordering of I/O unless all of the
> underlying device supports them too. See also Alasdair's response to the
> thread: http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/5/28/81

I'm not suggesting GFS1/2 should take this patch, considering their current
states. However, you can't give people an impression, as your original reply
implying, that GFS1/2 would not have this problem.

<http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/5/28/81>

> So although I'd like to see barrier support in GFS2, it won't solve any
> problems for most people and really its a device/block layer issue at
> the moment.

This part I agree ... better to attack this issue from volume manager than
from filesystem.

-- Wendy