[Linux-cluster] Re: [Iscsitarget-devel] Problem in clvmd and iscsi-target

Nuno Fernandes npf-mlists at eurotux.com
Thu Apr 3 17:11:37 UTC 2008

On Thursday 03 April 2008 15:56:52 Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> You have given lots of LVM info, but no iscsi-target info.
>
> What version? A copy of your ietd.conf. Output of /proc/net/iet/volume
Sorry :)

iscsitarget-0.4.16-1

ietd.conf
Target iqn.2007-04.com.eurotux.dc.gray:storage.disk.hdb
        Lun 0 Path=/dev/hdb,Type=blockio,ScsiId=95afc14465efeb27
        Alias Test
        InitialR2T              No
        ImmediateData           Yes
        MaxRecvDataSegmentLength 16384
        MaxXmitDataSegmentLength 16384
        #MaxBurstLength         262144
        #FirstBurstLength       65536
        MaxOutstandingR2T       8
        Wthreads                8

Output of proc data:
tid:1 name:iqn.2007-04.com.eurotux.dc.gray:storage.disk.hdb
        lun:0 state:0 iotype:blockio iomode:wt path:/dev/hdb

Meanwhile i narrow it down to a iscsi-target problem. Doing strace i saw it
requires exclusive open. So solve it it created an sort of an hack.. :)

from hdb and using device-mapper i create a linear mapping to 2 devices:

hdb-int
hdb-ext

Next i put hdb-ext in ietd.conf and hdb-int in lvm.conf. iscsi-target still
opens in exclusive mode but it only opens hdb-ext device.
clvmd uses hdb-int that has no exclusive lock.

Another way that we rejected is to put "gray" machine exporting the iscsi
volume to it self also and using that device in clvmd. This option also
worked but has less performance as all local contend has to be encoded to
iscsi and decoded in the same machine.

The problem of iscsi-target opening the device excluse remais.

Thanks,
Nuno Fernandes