[Linux-cluster] VIP's on mixed subnets

Gary Romo garromo at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 3 20:56:22 UTC 2008

Thanks Lon.  In my case I do not have another IP with another subnet.
So, the only way to do this would be by obtaining another NIC with the
other SUBNET on it, correct?

e.g.
My eth0 and eth1 are bonded with the same IP address, on the same subnet
(192.168.0./24)
I would need to order a new NIC (eth2), which would be on the other subnet
(10.0.0.0/8), in order to use VIP from the 10.0 subnet?

Correct?

-Gary

Lon Hohberger <lhh at redhat.com>
Sent by: linux-cluster-bounces at redhat.com
04/03/2008 01:19 PM
Please respond to
linux clustering <linux-cluster at redhat.com>

linux clustering <linux-cluster at redhat.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [Linux-cluster] VIP's on mixed subnets

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 11:38 -0600, Gary Romo wrote:

> In my cluster all of my servers NICs are bonded.
> Up until recently all of my VIPs (for resources/services) were in the
> same subnet.
> Is it ok that VIPs be in mixed subnets?  Thanks.

Yes, as long as you have an IP on the subnet already.

e.g. if you have eth1 on 192.168.1.0/24 and eth2 on 10.0.0.0/8, you can
put IPs for those two subnets in cluster.conf.

-- Lon