[Linux-cluster] SCSI-fence configure

Ryan O'Hara rohara at redhat.com
Mon Apr 7 15:09:03 UTC 2008

m.. mm.. wrote:
> Hi Ryan or somebody else..
>
> I have one question about your documentation about RedHat and scsi_reservation fence what you have write.
>
> About this Storage Requimenents:
> You write like this. "all shared storage must use LVM2 cluster volumes"
> If i have 2 cluster-nodes and shared /data1 mount which are this shared volume, with no scsi-resevation bit on, in active-passive mode service.
> And i want SCSI-fence like: I configure 2 * 2Gb shared storage more with SCSI-3 reservation bit on and create lvm2-partition, should this fence work, or must i still convert this allready configured /data1 to lvm2, for not preventing data-corruption in some situations. Or can i leave this partition unchanged

This means you must use LVM2 to setup your shared storage. In other
words, you must be using clvmd (lvm2-cluster package).

Also note that active-passive arrays are not officially support. I have
tested as active-passive array with RHEL5 and it seems to work due to a
change in device-mapper-multipath. The reason is that SCSI reservations
work by using an ioctl call to the devices and both the active and
passive paths must get this ioctl (to create the registration and/or
reservation). RHEL5 appears to include a fix that passes this ioctl to
all devices. This is not present in RHEL4. I believe the documentation
states that active-passive (multipath) arrays are not supported. I will
update this when I do more testing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "no scsi-resevation bit on". Can you explain?

-Ryan