[Linux-cluster] Achieving a stable cluster with a 2.6.21 kernel

Craig Johnston agspoon at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 21:27:05 UTC 2008

We would like to achieve a stable GFS/GFS2 cluster configuration using
a non-Redhat distribution that is based on a 2.6.21 kernel.  Our first
attempt was to obtain the Fedora Core 7 source rpms for the various
components (cman, rgmanager, openais, etc.).  We were successful in
incorporating these packages into our distribution, and creating what
should be a working cluster configuration with multiple nodes sharing
a set of GFS2 file systems from an iSCSI SAN.

The problem is that it is all very unstable, takes forever to
start-up, and locks up under even small load.  We would like to move
to a more recent version of the cluster suite and update the kernel
gfs2 and dlm modules for a 2.6.21 kernel.  We need to stick with
2.6.21 for other reasons (vendor support mostly), and we figure if it
all can be back ported for RHEL5.1 (2.6.18) it should be doable for
2.6.21.  We just don't know where to start.

Any advice on how we might proceed on this process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig