[Linux-cluster] Achieving a stable cluster with a 2.6.21 kernel

gordan at bobich.net gordan at bobich.net
Fri Apr 11 09:38:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Craig Johnston wrote:

> We would like to achieve a stable GFS/GFS2 cluster configuration using
> a non-Redhat distribution that is based on a 2.6.21 kernel.  Our first
> attempt was to obtain the Fedora Core 7 source rpms for the various
> components (cman, rgmanager, openais, etc.).  We were successful in
> incorporating these packages into our distribution, and creating what
> should be a working cluster configuration with multiple nodes sharing
> a set of GFS2 file systems from an iSCSI SAN.
>
> The problem is that it is all very unstable, takes forever to
> start-up, and locks up under even small load.

Use GFS1. GFS2 still does that. FC6+ no longer ships with GFS1 support
built in as standard. If you're going to stick to the tried path, use
RHEL5 (based) distributions. If you don't, you may well be better of just
building the lot from source. It comes down to what your time is worth to
you.

Gordan