[Linux-cluster] Fencing Driver API Requirements

Marek 'marx' Grac mgrac at redhat.com
Tue Apr 22 15:09:24 UTC 2008

Hi,

Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 20:47 +0200, Marek 'marx' Grac wrote:
>
> The issue is that with such a critical component of a cluster (if the
> fencing is not right bad things will happen) that in order to write a
> new fencing agent one has to start reverse engineering from source to
> work out what you need to do.

Those new agents with python module are available only in developer
branch are not a part of any distribution yet. There will be a
documentation soon. Supported fencing agents has their man pages are
there is description of how they work as they can use both getopt and
stdin arguments. These options does not have to have anything common, as
they are taken from the cluster.conf. Unfortunately some of the existing
fencing agents use different options, so there are no standard options
[there is an attempt to have them in new fencing agents].

> This is incredibly bad practice, and is bound to lead to improperly
> implemented fencing agents that then lead to bad things happening on
> clusters with these fencing agents.

I agree.

--
Marek Grac