[Linux-cluster] MySQL Cluster

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Fri Apr 25 00:02:53 UTC 2008

Tiago Cruz wrote:

> I'm researching about mysql's cluster.
> What did you suggests?

Last time I tried using MySQL Cluster it was unacceptably slow. It
wasn't really a workable solution. MySQL replication was a much better
option.

> I need to have write in all nodes of cluster, so, I can't use DRBD7 +
> HeartBeat.
 >
> Maybe, I should use DRBR8 and GFS to to this?

You could use DRBD in primary-primary mode with GFS on top and external
locking in MySQL. It would work, but performance would suffer a great
deal. It depends on what kind of throughput you need.

> One proxy application to separe Insert/Update from Select?

Depending on your application, you could use something like MySQL
round-robin replication. In that configuration, MySQL servers replicate
in a ring. The downside is that there is a race condition inherent in
the design, if you think about it carefully. (DRBD+GFS+ MySQL with
external locking doesn't suffer the race condition.) If this potential
race condition is not a concern for your application, then performance
wise, it is likely to be the optimal solution for you. Since you said
that fail-over is not an option for you, I am assuming that the load you
plan to put through it is too great for one server to handle (I have
seem low-spec servers with MySQL churning out 100,000+ queries per
second when tuned up correctly). If you are dealing with this sort of
load, DRBD+GFS+MySQL isn't going to cut it and round-robin replication
with the mentioned race condition is pretty much your only option.

Gordan