qdisk and voting in RHEL4 CS (Re: [Linux-cluster] Is heuristic really required?)

Charlie Brady charlieb-linux-cluster at e-smith.com
Fri Apr 25 18:18:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Lon Hohberger wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 16:11 -0400, Charlie Brady wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, HarriPäiväniemi wrote:

> > Another thing I've noticed (with RHEL4 RHC) is the the quorum disk doesn't
> > show up in the node list of the first node set up in the cluster, and
> > doesn't contribute a vote. Anyone have any ideas about that?
>
> It's not really a node, and is not reported by CMAN in the nodes list as
> it is in RHEL5/STABLE2 branches.

Not so, it is sometimes reported by cman in the nodes list. Herewith the
/proc/cluster/nodes file from four nodes of a cluster, each with qdiskd
running:

[root at g5node11 ~]# for i in 12 14 16 18 ; do ssh 192.168.10.$i cat /proc/cluster/nodes ; done
Node  Votes Exp Sts  Name
   1    1    1   M   g5node11
   2    1    3   M   g5node12
   3    1    5   M   g5node13
   4    1    7   M   huys3
Node  Votes Exp Sts  Name
   0    1    0   M   /dev/sda1
   1    1    1   M   g5node11
   2    1    3   M   g5node12
   3    1    5   M   g5node13
   4    1    7   M   huys3
Node  Votes Exp Sts  Name
   0    2    0   M   /dev/sda1
   1    1    1   M   g5node11
   2    1    3   M   g5node12
   3    1    5   M   g5node13
   4    1    7   M   huys3
Node  Votes Exp Sts  Name
   0    3    0   M   /dev/sda1
   1    1    1   M   g5node11
   2    1    3   M   g5node12
   3    1    5   M   g5node13
   4    1    7   M   huys3
[root at g5node11 ~]#

I'm guessing that the order of startup or of adding nodes to the cluster
is responsible for the non-appearance of qdisk on one node, and the
varying votes on other nodes, but I'd appreciate some better
understanding, and a workaround or fix if someone can provide it.

--
Charlie