[Linux-cluster] GFS2 stops working... can't umount

Stephen Amadei stephenamadei at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 22 22:57:49 UTC 2008

Hello.

I am having a reoccuring problem with my experimental GFS2 setup.  It's running cluster-2.03.06, openair-0.80.3 and the kernel is 2.6.26 with the DRBD and GRSecurity patches.  This is on Slackware 12.1.

After about 10 days of having the GFS2 filesystem mounted, I tried to do a simple 'ls' on one of the directories, and the process dies with a D (in ps ax).

Of course, I cannot unmount the GFS2 partition due to the hanging processes, so I'll need a reboot to fix the situation, which I cannot do until later tonight.

The last time this happened, I had to reboot, run fsck on the partition, and shortly thereafter, I was remounted, and happy.

Keep in mind this is not a partition with heavy usage.  In fact, it is practically a read-only partition, to be used to synchronize the htdocs on web server backends.

There was nothing in the logs.  I looked at upgrading to 2.03.07, but the changelog doesn't seem to address any freezing problems.

Is this a known problem?

Since the data on this partition is not particularly important, I could reformat and start over... is it possible the fsck is not fixing the partition good enough?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen