[Linux-cluster] Want to Setup NFS with redhat Cluster??

Rajagopal Swaminathan raju.rajsand at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 11:20:15 UTC 2008

Greetings

2008/8/25 Anuj Singh (अनुज) <anujhere at gmail.com>

> AIUI your target is to use A & B (Cluster nodes) to provide high
> availability of nfs service to your client machine C.
> a) If node A goes down B takes over the nfs service, provided to client C.
> b) If node B goes down A takes over the nfs service. provided to client C.
> c) At any particular time only A node or B node providing service to C.
> c) Client C, should see the same data independent of A and B, whether A is
> providing nfs export or B.

sources.redhat.com/cluster/doc/*nfs**cookbook*.pdf

Now in the above howto, it is assumed that you are using SAN for storage

If budget constraints are there, One alterntive for two node cluster with
shared storage achived with the storage box having two scsi channels and
both the nodes having one scsi controller each.

else the following is applicable

> Above thing can be achieved easily.
> a) Get the DRBD (distributed redundant block device) and replicate data
> between A node, B node. RAID1
> b) You need to create a virtual IP which floats between A node and B node
> along with startup of nfs service.
> c) You client C will access the floating virtual IP.
> above three things can be achieved by linux-heartbeat as well as RHCS, with
> RHCS you only have to manage DRBD primary. which can be handled with some
> small script.

In fact with DRBD also we can have GFS by making both primary. I have worked
in such a setup. to further bolster fault tolerance, you can have Software
RAID1 or 5 in each box. SATA drives are not expensive

Alternatively if you want more nodes to participate in the cluster, you can
build a low cost iSCSI target using openfiler and give-em a handful of
bonded NICs with jumbo frames to achieve decent performance. With this
solution you will have a storage box outside. If you have rack mounting
facility, try Sunfire x4150 it is just 1RU and a lot of thigs like 8 HDD
bays, 4NICs Memory upto 64GB.

Hope that answers the question somewhat

Regards

Rajagopal