[Linux-cluster] Correct syntax for gfs entries in /etc/fstab (REHEL 5.2)

Tom Lanyon tom at netspot.com.au
Thu Dec 4 02:09:00 UTC 2008

On 04/12/2008, at 1:30 AM, Bob Peterson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you want the gfs file systems to be mounted at boot time, get rid
> of the noauto in fstab (and leave the gfs init script the way it was).
> Same goes for if you run the gfs init script manually.
>
> Entries in fstab for GFS are not mounted until after the cluster is
> running, which is why we have a separate gfs init script that runs
> after the cman and clvmd scripts.  It's designed to process the gfs
> entries in fstab that were ignored before the cluster was up, but it
> treats the noauto mount option the same as the other mounts, meaning
> it won't mount them when the script runs if they have noauto.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bob Peterson
> Red Hat GFS

I think the confusion here comes from people thinking that without
"noauto" on their GFS entries, the system will attempt to mount at
boot time (before the cluster services). Perhaps it needs to be
documented somewhere (I notice that fstab(5) and mount(8) man pages
don't mention the GFS exclusion)?

Regards,
Tom