[Linux-cluster] fencing device

Paras pradhan pradhanparas at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 23:38:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Abraham Alawi <a.alawi at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> I think most modern (decent) servers support IPMI, that would probably be
> the most cost effective and easy to manage as well! Never heard of HP iLO as
> a separate fencing device though! :)
>
> Cheers,
>
>  -- Abraham
>
> On 10/12/2008, at 11:49 AM, Paras pradhan wrote:
>
>> hi.
>>
>> I am doing some research in order to buy a fencing device (power
>> swtich) to implement in my 2 or 3 nodes red hat production cluster
>> that will host 10-12 xen virtual machines. Which one is recommended
>> apc master or hp ilo? Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Exact
>> models will be nice to extend my research on limited devices.
>>
>> Thanks !
>> Paras.
>>
>> --

It seems my server is IPMI supported..

Here is my results after starting ipmi daemon

---
ipmi message handler version 39.1
IPMI System Interface driver.
ipmi_si: Trying SMBIOS-specified kcs state machine at i/o address
0xca2, slave address 0x20, irq 0
ipmi: Found new BMC (man_id: 0x000157,  prod_id: 0x0029, dev_id: 0x20)
 IPMI kcs interface initialized
ipmi device interface

--

Does this mean that I can use this IPMI fencing to fence the cluseter
nodes? Does this provide functionality smiliar to as using apc or hp

Thanks
Paras.