[Linux-cluster] postgres cluster with RHEL5

Mikko Partio mpartio at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 07:37:23 UTC 2008

> I am trying to get an active-passive postgres cluster going.  I have a
> shared storage with NFS.  I just can't get it going.  I am using luci
> to configure this which, from what I have been reading, is somewhat
> buggy in the postgres-8 arena.  My first question is what components
> of postgres should live on the shared storage?

A have also implemented an active-passive cluster for postgresql, here's
what I suggest:

-Do not use nfs with postgresql. It can lead to unpredictable results when a
failure with the nfs mount occurs. For more info check the postgresql
mailing list archives.
-I don't know how the rgmanager's built-in postgresql support works, but at
least using the "script" resource works just fine.
-I am using gfs with postgresql and all but the database binaries are on the
shared storage.
-Be sure to test, test and test that your fencing is working!

Regards

Mikko