[Linux-cluster] EXT3 file system runs slow only right after it is mounted

Brad Filipek bfilipek at crscold.com
Tue Feb 5 14:26:16 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have a 2 node cluster connected via fibre to a SAN. This is an active/passive cluster and an EXT3 file system is mounted when the cluster services start on the active node. If we try to access data on this mount immediately after it is mounted, it takes an extremely long time. However, after about an hour, it runs extremely fast and is fine for good (until we un-mount and re-mount it, then it is slow again). So my question is, when you mount an ext3 partition (without any mount options), does it do something like scan the whole partition to see what is on the disk? This is the only thing I can think of that makes sense. The mount is 500GB in size.

Thanks,
Brad

Confidentiality Notice: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply or by telephone and immediately delete this message and any attachments.