[Linux-cluster] XEN VM Cluster

jr johannes.russek at io-consulting.net
Wed Feb 6 10:33:02 UTC 2008

Hi Marcos,

Am Mittwoch, den 06.02.2008, 04:28 -0500 schrieb Marcos Ferreira da
Silva:
> Thanks for the docs.
>
> In the VMClusterCookbook I don't understand where is the directory /guests.
> Is a shared partition in a storage?
> How could I configure this shared partition to be access for both machines?

it should be anything that is available on both machines and shared
among them, i have a small GFS partition for that on my vm cluster, but
i guess you can use NFS for that too.

> Have I use a "disk in a file" like the doc?

that's nothing cluster specific but xen specific. it means that you use
a file as a "blockdevice" for your guest domain. (check xen docs)

> Or could I use a real partition in a shared storage (partitioon with no filesystem only created by lvm)?

even though the cookbooks suggested file images on a shared filesystem,
i simply used luns i carved from my SAN, which are then used as "phy"
blockdevices by the guests. Because i'm using multipathing on all
machines and thus have the luns in a consistent naming scheme on all
machines, it works pretty well for migration and failover.
enjoy,
johannes