[Linux-cluster] 2-node tie-breaking

gordan at bobich.net gordan at bobich.net
Thu Feb 7 15:32:26 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've got a slightly peculiar problem. 2-node cluster acting as a load
balanced fail-over router. 3 NICs: public, private, cluster.
Cluster NICs are connected with a cross-over cable, the other two are on
switches. The cluster NIC is only used for DRBD/GFS/DLM and associated
things.

The failure mode that I'm trying to account for is the one of the cluster
NIC failing on one machine. On the public and privace networks, both
machines can still see everything (including each other). That means that
a tie-breaker based on other visible things will not work.

So, which machine gets fenced in the case of the cluster NIC failure (or
more likely, if the x-over cable falls out)?

Is there a sane, tested way to handle this condition? It would be quite
embarrasing if both, otherwise fully functional nodes, decided to shut
fence the other one off by shutting it down.

Thanks.

Gordan