[Linux-cluster] Pseudo-Fencing for 2-node DRBD+GFS

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu Feb 7 20:18:09 UTC 2008

Hi,

Thanks for the replies on the other thread. I'm still assimilating them.
Meanwhile, however, I am faced with a different problem. It turns out
that the servers I've got to prototype this with only have MegaRAC 780
(a.k.a. DRAC 2) management cards in them. The problem with this is that,
to the best of my ability to tell, these don't seem to provide a sanely
usable interface to allow for the machine to be powered down via the
command line (Windows only management utility - I can't even get it to
ping, only arping, and nmap isn't coming up with anything!)

So, I need a poor man's pseudo-fencing hack that will protect the shared
file system by stopping the DRBD replication between the hosts (range of
options available including using iptables to firewall the cluster NIC,
or just downing the interface completely, as it's not used for anything
else). The theoretical assumption (I don't really have a choice...) is
that if one of the machines fails, it will fail completely and not
attempt to fight over the resources that need to be failed over (in this
case just IP addresses).

Is there a minimum API that a fencing script has to implement to be
usable via cluster.conf? If so, can anyone please point me at some
documentation for it? Would this be a reasonable way to implement
fencing in a 2-node case?

Thanks.

Gordan