[Linux-cluster] 2-node tie-breaking

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu Feb 7 22:19:56 UTC 2008

Lon H. Hohberger wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 21:02 +0000, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>
>> Thinking about this a bit more, a tie-breaking IP ping may need to be
>> implemented on the public and private NICs. On the public side, the
>> tie-breaker would need to be the next router along. Are there hooks for
>> implementing such a thing as a simple ping script, or heartbeat or
>> similar that can be used to achieve this?
>
> Hmm, the problem is that using qdisk requires... well, a shared disk
> (that doesn't need pesky things like network communications...).

Sure, I understand that. But since there are only 2 nodes, fencing by
downing the local cluster interface would at least stop the file system
from getting hosed.

> Well, here's a cheap 'out' ;)
>
> Ebay item # 250213910258
>
> 8 port WTI NPS for $70 + $15 s/h.

Indeed, that would be tempting if it wasn't on the wrong side of the
atlantic. A more local search for similar things doesn't seem to come up
with anything. :-(

Gordan