[Linux-cluster] no version for "gfs2_unmount_lockproto"

Bob Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Thu Feb 14 22:49:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 17:22 +0100, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> *Here* comes something possibly interesting, after fence_tool join:
>
> fenced[4543]: fencing deferred to prior member
>
> Though it doesn't look like node3 (which has the filesystem mounted)
> would want to fence node1 (which has this message in its syslog).  Is
> there a command available to find out the current fencing status or
> history?

Not as far as I know.  You should probably look in the /var/log/messages
on all the nodes to see which node decided it needed to fence the other
and why.  Perhaps it's not letting you mount gfs because of a pending
fence operation.  You could do cman_tool services to see the status
of the cluster from all nodes.

> Well, it helps on the node which has the filesystem mounted.  Of
> course not on the other.  Is gfs_tool supposed to work on mounted
> filesystems only?  Probably so.

Some of the gfs_tool commands like "gfs_tool sb" need a device
and others like "gfs_tool lockdump" need a mount point.  The man
page says which requires which.

> Do you think I should apply them?  It doesn't sound like they would
> help with this problem.

Well, the patches won't help solve the root issue, which is why the
mount is failing in the first place.

Another thing you can try is mounting it with the mount helper
manually, with verbose mode, by doing something like this:

/sbin/mount.gfs -v -o users -t gfs /dev/your/device /your/mount/point

And see what information it gives you.  Using the straight mount
command won't put the mount helper into verbose mode, so you may
get more information that way.

Perhaps you should also try "group_tool dump gfs" to see if there are
error messages from the gfs control daemon pertaining to gfs and
why the mount failed.

> Thanks for the clarification.  And what does that deferred fencing
> mean?

That means some node decided it was necessary to fence another node
and it is waiting for that fence to complete.  If there's a pending
fence of a node that's not completing, check to make sure your
fence device is configured and working properly.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat GFS