[Linux-cluster] Initiating transition message

Christine Caulfield ccaulfie at redhat.com
Fri Feb 22 09:01:06 UTC 2008

Shawn Hood wrote:
> While this explains the situation somewhat, I was trying to bring a
> bit more clarity to the problem (without examining th esource).  What
> exactly is happening when a 'initiates transition'?

A cluster state transition is what happens when a node joins or leaves
the cluster. All the nodes that are known to be members collaborate in
the transition to work out the new cluster membership.

If the transition takes too long to complete (eg not all the nodes are
responding) then the transition is restarted - which is what you are
seeing here. It's a little more complicated than that, of course. But
that's the general idea.

One transition restart is unusual but reasonable in a very busy
environment. two is almost unheard of, and the repeating set you have is
either a very bad and strange network outage, or a very bad and strange
bug.

Christine