[Linux-cluster] openais retransmit question

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Sat Feb 23 01:37:22 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 09:52 -0600, Brian Kroth wrote:
> I've been seeing lots of messages like this recently on my GFS cluster
> nodes:
>
> [TOTEM] Retransmit List: 31d 31e 31f 321 322 324 327
>
> Can anyone explain what might cause this and whether or not I should be
> concerned?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

This usually indicates a failure of your switch to multicast packets or
that your network is so overloaded that multicast packets are dropped by
the switch.  The totem protocol will automatically recover from this
issue which is what the retransmit list messages you see are.  I
wouldn't be too concerned, although retransmission does negatively
effect plock performance.

I have found this happens most often on ATCA switches.  Could you report
your switch brand and model number?

Thanks