[Linux-cluster] Clustering Oracle 10g

Alex Kompel barbos at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 00:44:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 6:45 AM, Stephen Nelson-Smith
<sanelson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a client with a single instance of 10g running on Windows Server 2003.
>
> They've approached me with a view to migrating to Linux, and
> increasing its availability.
>
> What's the current ruling from Oracle about multple licences?  If I
> just had an active-passive system, do I still have to fork out five
> figure numbers for the second, idle Oracle instance?

http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/sig.pdf

"
Failover – In this type of recovery, nodes are configured in
"cluster;" the first
installed node acts as a primary node. If the primary node fails, one of the
nodes in the cluster acts as the primary node. In this type of environment,
Oracle permits licensed Oracle Database customers to run the Database on
an unlicensed spare computer for up to a total of ten separate days in any
given calendar year. Any other use requires the environment to be fully
licensed. Same rule applies for Internet Application Server. Additionally, the
same metric must be used when licensing the databases in a failover
environment. See illustration #4.
"