[Linux-cluster] is clvm a must all the time in a cluster ?

Roger Peña orkcu at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 28 23:50:10 UTC 2008

--- Jonathan Brassow <jbrassow at redhat.com> wrote:

>  From the description, I am skeptical that clvm is
> your problem...
> (Also, are you using a proper fencing mechanism?)
yes, fencing is ok
everytime the cluster lose contact with a node, it is
fenced very quickly :-)
but, in the cases I am describing, the nodes remains
members of the cluster so no need to fence anyone .
just happen that cman get stuck because some cman
service in some node get stuck, and because cman is
stuck we can't do anything that interact with cman
except with the node who make the problem (we have to
guess what node is :-) )
what I had found is that usually, clvmd is the one
that it is not working as it should, but in other
cases we just don't know who is causing the problem.
usually the reboot of the offending node provoque some
transicions in the cluster and cman get out of the
stuck and cluster come back to live :-)

the cluster is in production so I am very limited to
do tests.
right now the admin team agree into let clvmd work
(started at boot time) but if in the future we get
more problems and if we find that that problem somehow
is related with clvmd then we will try to revert the
cluster lvm setting from our SAN lv
any downside with this approach except not be able to
run lvm commands ?

thanks
roger