[Linux-cluster] GFS performance

Wendy Cheng wcheng at redhat.com
Tue Jan 1 17:00:32 UTC 2008

Kamal Jain wrote:

> A challenge we’re dealing with is a massive number of small files, so
> there is a lot of file-level overhead, and as you saw in the
> charts…the random reads and writes were not friends of GFS.

It is expected that GFS2 would do better in this area butt this does
*not* imply GFS(1) is not fixable. One thing would be helpful is sending
us the benchmark (or test program that can reasonably represent your
application IO patterns) you used to generate the performance data. Then
we'll see what can be done from there ....

-- Wendy