[Linux-cluster] clvmd fails to start on second node.

Ray Charles raycharles_man at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 03:09:21 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am following the directions of the VMClusterCookbook
and have the early makings of a virtualized two node
cluster. On both guest-nodes i can initialize cman and
achieve quorate.  However, things go sideways when I
try to initialize clvmd on both nodes. The first node
brings up clvmd cleanly but the second reports FAILED
upon coming up and the volumes i wish to mount become
inaccessible.  Further, I've no firewalling on the
guests. I 've read a similar post but that was from
many months ago, on older version not much use. Logs
and output below..

Thanks in advance for any responses!

>From the consoles..

[root at vsp07 ~]# /etc/init.d/clvmd start
Starting clvmd: dlm: Using TCP for communications
[  OK  ]
Activating VGs:   2 logical volume(s) in volume group
"VolGroup00" now active
[  OK  ]
[root at vsp07 ~]#

[root at vsp08 ~]# /etc/init.d/clvmd start
Starting clvmd: clvmd startup timed out

    [FAILED]

>From the /var/log/messages...

[root at vsp07 ~]# tail -f /var/log/messages
Jan  1 19:28:13 vsp07 kernel: dlm: Using TCP for
communications
Jan  1 19:28:14 vsp07 clvmd: Cluster LVM daemon
started - connected to CMAN
Jan  1 19:28:27 vsp07 kernel: dlm: connecting to 2
Jan  1 19:28:27 vsp07 kernel: dlm: connect from non
cluster node

[root at vsp08 ~]# tail -f /var/log/messages
Jan  1 19:28:27 vsp08 kernel: dlm: Using TCP for
communications
Jan  1 19:28:27 vsp08 kernel: dlm: connect from non
cluster node
Jan  1 19:28:27 vsp08 kernel: dlm: connecting to 1

Here is my cluster.conf file for the guests
Cent0S-5.1..

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<cluster alias="testbag" config_version="27"
name="testbag">

<cman expected_votes="1" two_node="1"/>
<totem token="21000"/>

        <clusternodes>