[Linux-cluster] GFS performance

Kamal Jain kjain at aurarianetworks.com
Thu Jan 3 14:40:25 UTC 2008

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for looking into this, and for your preliminary feedback.

I am surprised that handling locking for 8 files might cause major performance degradation with GFS versus iSCSI-direct. As for latency, all the devices are directly connected to a Cisco 3560G switch and on the same VLAN, so I expect Ethernet/layer-2 latencies to be sub-millisecond.  Also, note that the much faster iSCSI performance was on the same GbE connections between the same devices and systems, so network throughput and latency are the same.

GFS overhead, in handling locking (most likely) and any GFS filesystem overhead are the likely causes IMO.

Looking forward to any analysis and guidance you may be able to provide on getting GFS performance closer to iSCSI-direct.

- K