[Linux-cluster] Configuring multicast on RHEL4

Eric Williams eric.williams at redhat.com
Sat Jan 19 08:29:29 UTC 2008

Excerpts from Yan Vinogradov's message of Fri Jan 18 18:55:18 +0000 2008:
> Hi all!
>
> My understanding is RHEL4 clusters default to broadcast upon creation.
> If later on the user chooses to switch to multicast - how does the
> clustering software know what interface name is to be used for each node
> of the cluster? 'system-config-cluster' utility seems to just be using a
> hardcoded value of "eth0" regardless of the actual name of the interface.
>
> Thank you,
> Yan

Have a look at the following tip:

  http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/faq.html#broadcastmulticast2

  How can I configure my RHEL4 cluster to use multicast rather than
  broadcast?

  Put something like this in your cluster.conf file:

  <clusternode name="nd1">
	<multicast addr="224.0.0.1" interface="eth0"/>
  </clusternode>

cya,
eric

--