[Linux-cluster] importing/unimporting GNBD devices on CentOS5.1

Benjamin Franz snowhare at nihongo.org
Sun Jan 20 19:49:07 UTC 2008

I've looked all over the the Redhat docs and in the various packages, and
I can't find a single example of GNBD devices being _automatically_
imported/unimported (ala gnbd-client) on the Redhat Cluster system (as
opposed to toy examples using gnbd_import directly without an init.d
script).

Additionally, after poking at manually mounting and unmounting GFS + LVM
on GNBD + multipath for a while, I discovered that the clvmd init.d script
fails to deactivate active LVs on a clustered VG before trying to
deactivate the clustered VG (which, understandably, makes the LVM system
unhappy, which in turn makes "gnbd_import -R" very unhappy when it comes
time to unimport the GNBD devices.

Am I missing something? Is there something buried deep in the clustering
system that is activates GNBD devices and deactivates LVs at the
appropriate times?

--
Benjamin Franz

  I don't think it's a good idea to follow the catalog's suggestion to force
  the "Double Helix" on your biologist friends, or the "Wavelength" on your
  physicist friends. They have access to virulent pathogens and liquid
  nitrogen, and I just know it will end in tears before bedtime.
                             - Verzoeking, LiveJournal Entry, 22 Nov 2005