[Linux-cluster] Startup and Shutdown of a Virtual/Physical cluster

Paolo Marini paolom at prisma-eng.it
Thu Jan 24 10:36:55 UTC 2008

Thanks for the answer, I suspected that failover domains could do the
trick, I will try this solution.

Anyway, shutdown is for me still unclear.

starting up a cluster involves starting the cman daemon, clvmd, gfs,
mounting the gfs filesystems and starting rgmanager. Stopping cman does
not work on a cluster, because the other nodes still think that the
shutting down node is up, and they end fencing it if it is no more
responding. In fact, the shutdown procedures of a single node involves the
removeal of the node from both the fencing and cman agents (fence_tool
remove and cman_tool leave remove commands).

So stopping the daemons is not enough. Beside this, the ordered shutdown
of a physical/virtual cluster requires the shutdown of the virtual first
then of the physical cluster.

Paolo