[Linux-cluster] DDRAID vs. GNBD+MD

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Sun Jan 27 19:56:19 UTC 2008

Hi,

I mentioned DDRAID in a different thread recently, but it got me
thinking. Is there any reason why a similar solution based on GNBD plus
standard software RAID on top wouldn't work?

Say we have 7 nodes, and we want 5+2 (RAID6 redundancy). Have each node
export a GNBD, and then all nodes connect the said GNBDs together using
software RAID into a /dev/md? device, and then have GFS on top of that.
We could then lose any 2 out of the 7 nodes and still maintain
operational status.

Would that work, or would the underlying GNBDs end up being temporarily
out of sync sufficiently for the RAID to not be assemblable on the other
nodes?

If this works, then that would render DDRAID redundant, except for
performance reasons. On a related node, was DDRAID ever stabilised, or
is it one of those perpetual alphaware projects like Coda that will
never reach production quality due to being abandoned?

Gordan