[Linux-cluster] iSCSI GFS

gordan at bobich.net gordan at bobich.net
Mon Jan 28 18:09:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, isplist at logicore.net wrote:

>> It's pretty simple to set up. You just need to be familliar with iSCSI
>> tools and software RAID tools, all of which are almost certainly in your
>> distro's apt/yum repositories.
>
> Figured I would ask. Never know, might be some cool management tools that help
> keep an eye on things. The setup sounds simple enough as you say.

Sadlt, contrary to what users of some other operating systems may think,
you cannot control a complex and flexible system by clicking on pretty
pictures. ;)

>>> I need a machine which will become the aggregator, plenty of memory,
>>> multi-port Ethernet card and of course an FC HBA.
>>> FC storage will be attached to this machine. Then, iSCSI storage targets
>>> will also export to this machine.
>
>> Not quite sure I follow this - you want to use FC storage and combine it
>> with iSCSI storage into a bigger iSCSI storage pool? No reasib why not, I
>> suppose.
>
> I need relatively small central GFS for the shared data between the servers
> but the rest is for media and such. I'll need to have FC HBA's in every LAMP
> server since it needs access to GFS but media servers, those who only offload,
> don't need access to GFS so why install an FC HBA in those? Rather, I could
> export the FCC storage as part of the aggregate volume so that any server can
> gain access over iSCSI. Seems that would give me more options.
> Am I thinking incorrectly on this?

Sure, that works.

>> Note that software RAID only goes up to RAID 6 (i.e. n+2). So you cannot
>> lose more than 2 nodes (FC or iSCSI), otherwise you lose your data.
>
> So basically, can't lose more than one storage chassis.

You can't lose more than 2.

> Since they are all
> RAID with hot swap, I should be ok so long as I keep a close eye on it all
> which one needs to anyhow. That's why I wondered about any software tools that
> might help but I'm sure there's a ton out there which will work.

cat /proc/mdstat is a good one to check every morning. :-)

>> yum install iscsi-target
>
> No?! I saw this a long time ago as a new concept, never looked at it since.
> Wonderful :).

Actually, on RHEL you'll probably want up2date, but you get the idea.

>> When a node needs to take over, it fences the other node, connects
>> the iSCSI shares, starts up the RAID on them, assumes the floating IP and
>> exports the iSCSI/NFS shares.
>
> So this sounds like the complex part then because being able to fail over or
> switch over seems terribly important to me. If one machine is handling all
> this I/O and something happens to it, everything is down until that one
> machine is fixed.
>
> This, I would need to find a solution for first. I need to better understand
> how I would do this fencing.

You need working fencing support for sane GFS operation anyway. You can do
this via DRAC, ILO, switches that allow you to disable a port, UPS that
lets you cut off power to a machine, etc. Just something you can use to
make a machine stay down when it goes wrong until you can fix it.

Gordan