[Linux-cluster] Initializing CMAN increases network chatter

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Tue Jan 29 19:15:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 09:41 -0800, Ray Charles wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if this is normal due to the use of
> multicast in openais.
>
> My network consists of 2 trunked layer2 switches and 2
> nodes(aka 2 node cluster) each with 2 nics that are
> configured as a bonded interface,mode 1.
>
> I have link lites on the switch ports i use. They stay
> lit until i start cman up. Then all the ports blink
> madly. It doesn't seem to impact the traffic, but i am
> wondering if all the chatter is necessary?
>

> -tia

Openais checks periodically for other split networks in the system.
This option can be tuned via the "merge" option which is set in
milliseconds.  This can be overriden in the cluster.conf file.  Chrissie
can probably describe how to do this - I'm not immediately sure of the
option.

Here is the man page info:
       merge  This  timeout  specifies in milliseconds how long to wait
before
              checking for a partition when  no  multicast  traffic  is
being
              sent.   If  multicast traffic is being sent, the merge
detection
              happens automatically as a function of the protocol.

              The default is 200 milliseconds.