[Linux-cluster] GFS2 not releasing disk space?

Ernie Graeler egraeler at commvault.com
Tue Jul 1 13:51:21 UTC 2008

All,

I'm new to this list, so I'm not sure if any one else has encountered
this problem.  Also, this is my first post so forgive me if I do
something incorrect. :-)   I've created a cluster using 2 nodes and
created a shared file system between them using gfs2.   So far, the set
up seemed to go well, and I can see the file system, and can write to it
and copy files to it with no problem from either node.   However, when I
delete or remove files and directories from the gfs2 file system, the
files and directories go away, but the file system does not reclaim the
space from the deleted files.  Is there a tunable parameter that handles
this?  Or did I miss something in the configuration?  Has any one else
encountered this situation?   If I restart the cluster, the space comes
back, but I don't want to have to restart the cluster every time I
delete data in order to reclaim the space.  I'm running gfs2 on CentOS
5.1 X64.  I did a google search but came up dry.

Thanks!

Ernie

Ernst F. Graeler

Systems Analyst/UnixDB Team Supervisor

CommVault Customer Support

Direct: 732.870.4059

Hotline: 877.780.3077

egraeler at commvault.com

"This communication may contain confidential and privileged material
for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any unauthorized review,
use or distribution by others is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply
email and delete the message. Thank you."