[Linux-cluster] Availability and Working of Service

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Wed Jul 2 18:48:22 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 03:01 -0700, Mshehzad Pankhawala wrote:
> Hello Every one,
>
> I am planning to configure Asterisk Cluster using some of the
> clustering technologies (LVS or OpenSER or Heartbeat or any other
> thing).
>
> My problem is that Heartbeat and other component just check the
> availability of the Server which is to be clustered. But I also want
> the Service Asterisk should also be checked like Server is Answering
> the call properly, All the functionality of Asterisk Server is working
> properly or other services such as voice mail server (which is used by
> Asterisk Server) is running properly.
>
> Any body can guide me how to do that, is there any components, tools
> available, or Any Asterisk Specific tool to check Asterisk services
> etc. then please reply.

Cluster resource managers (one is included as part of heartbeat) can
certainly perform any check you can write a script for.

I would expect you start Asterisk with a script; e.g.:

  /etc/init.d/asterisk start

That script probably also has a stop and a status action:

  /etc/init.d/asterisk stop
  /etc/init.d/asterisk status

The 'status' action can be used by heartbeat / rgmanager / etc. to check
the health of the asterisk server.

-- Lon