[Linux-cluster] Re: Using GFS2 to store vmware disk files

Bob Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Fri Jul 25 13:10:16 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 09:04 +0200, carlopmart wrote:
> carlopmart wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> >  I have installed one host with rhel5.2 and vmware server 2.0 rc1. I
> > stored vmdk files on a GFS2 partition with these params on /etc/fstab:
> > rw,_netdev,noatime,noexec,nodev,nosuid. But performance is really really
> > poor compared with ocfs2 for example or ext3 ...
> >
> >  Somebody knows how can I increase GFS2 performance filesystem to store
> > a lot of 2 GB vmdk files??
> >
> > Many thanks.
> >

> Please, any hints??

First and most importantly, make sure you have a very recent version of
the GFS2 kernel source.  We've done some performance improvements
recently.

Second, you can tune your environment using the hints on the wiki:

http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/wiki/FAQ/GFS#gfs_tuning

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat Clustering & GFS