[Linux-cluster] help on configuring a shared gfs volume in a load balanced http cluster

Alex linux at vfemail.net
Fri Jul 25 15:37:54 UTC 2008

Hi Gordan,

Thanks for your reply... I have performed some small steps forward...

> > Actually, i want just to have hdb1 from shd1 and hdc1 from shd2 joided in
> > one volume. No mirror for this volume at that momment. Is possible? If
> > yes, how? Using ATAoE?
>
> Set up ATAoE on shd and use it to export a volume. Connect to this ATAoE
> share from the front end nodes. You can then use something like Cluster
> LVM (CLVM) to unify them into one volume.

Now, I setup ATAoE inside shd1 and shd2 and now, i am able to see exported
disks on my redhat cluster manager machine (rhclm), so should be the same
view on all our rs1, rs2 and rs3 webservers.

See below:

[root at rhclm ~]# cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

   3     0   19551168 hda
   3     1      98248 hda1
   3     2          1 hda2
   3     5    1000408 hda5
   3     6    8673808 hda6
 152   560   78150744 etherd/e2.3
 152   561   39075088 etherd/e2.3p1
 152   562   39075624 etherd/e2.3p2
 152   288   39082680 etherd/e1.2
 152   289   19541056 etherd/e1.2p1
 152   290   19541592 etherd/e1.2p2

[root at rhclm ~]# aoe-stat
      e1.2        40.020GB   eth0 up
      e2.3        80.026GB   eth0 up
[root at rhclm ~]#

[root at rhclm ~]# ls -l /dev/etherd/*
brw-r----- 1 root disk 152, 288 Jul 25 17:47 /dev/etherd/e1.2
brw-r----- 1 root disk 152, 289 Jul 25 17:47 /dev/etherd/e1.2p1
brw-r----- 1 root disk 152, 290 Jul 25 17:47 /dev/etherd/e1.2p2
brw-r----- 1 root disk 152, 560 Jul 25 17:47 /dev/etherd/e2.3
brw-r----- 1 root disk 152, 561 Jul 25 17:47 /dev/etherd/e2.3p1
brw-r----- 1 root disk 152, 562 Jul 25 17:47 /dev/etherd/e2.3p2
[root at rhclm ~]#

So, is exacly what i exported from shd1 and shd2 servers (hdb -> 2*20GB slices
and hdc -> 2*40GB slices)

>From here i am lost. I understand from you, that now, on one of our
realservers, let say rs1, shoud i use CLVM to unify them. I want to obtain 2
volumes:

VOL1=e1.2p1+e2.3p1
VOL2=e1.2p2+e2.3p2

I am not sure how to do it using clvm... All is crossing my mind is mdadm...

mdadm -C /dev/md0 -l 0 -n 2 \
        /dev/etherd/e1.2p1 /dev/etherd/e2.3p1

and after that, to use:

pvcreate /dev/md0
vgcreate extendible_lvm /dev/md0

lvcreate --extents 60GB --name extendible_lvm www_docroot

and finally mkfs.gfs /dev/extendible_lvm/www_docroot

Can you help me regading clvm?

Regards,
Alx