[Linux-cluster] gfs 6.1 superblock backups

Chris Adams cma at analog.org
Tue Jun 3 18:27:13 UTC 2008

Bob and Wendy,
Thank you for your input on this.  What I am trying to do
is upgrade a GFS 6.0 filesystems which are attached to various
RHEL3/CentOS3 systems.  After performing the steps which outline the
process of going from 3 to 4, but on a CentOS 5 system, I get the problems
mentioned in my message yesterday Re: /sbin/mount.gfs thinks fs is gfs2?
Everyt time I reinstalled a system with CentOS 5 and tried to get gfs
running again I got the same error.

Since I know that this is an unsupported operation, I haven't sought
support for this.  However, I noticed that my upgraded filesystem had
sb_fs_format = 1308.  The mount code checks for sb_fs_format ==
GFS_FORMAT_FS for gfs 6.1 and GFS2_FORMAT_FS for gfs2.  Since it was
neither of these, it kept dying saying that it was a gfs2 fs when mounting
it as gfs, and vice versa.  Manually modifying sb_fs_format allowed it to
mount immediately afterward.  A subsequent gfs_fsck completes all passes
successfully.

Is that sufficient for upgrading the filesystem if the other steps are
performed?  All fs operations appear to be successful at this point.

thanks,
-chris