[Linux-cluster] gfs tuning

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Mon Jun 16 19:16:41 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:45:51AM -0500, Terry wrote:
> I have 4 GFS volumes, each 4 TB.  I am seeing pretty high load
> averages on the host that is serving these volumes out via NFS.  I
> notice that gfs_scand, dlm_recv, and dlm_scand are running with high
> CPU%.  I truly believe the box is I/O bound due to high awaits but
> trying to dig into root cause.  99% of the activity on these volumes
> is write.  The number of files is around 15 million per TB.   Given
> the high number of writes, increasing scand_secs will not help.  Any
> other optimizations I can do?

Are you running multi-threaded/multi-process writes to the same files
on various nodes?

During benchmarking and testing a cluster I recently built, I noticed
a very large performance hit when performing multi-threaded I/O to
overlapping areas of the filesystem.

If you can randomize the order that different nodes are accessing
the filesystem, you'll go a long way to reducing contention.  That
will improve your performance.

However, I suspect with NFS you won't have too much choice, since
file access will be governed by client read/write patterns...

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us

man in the bonds of Hell."