[Linux-cluster] GFS2 nulling larger files.

Bob Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Tue Jun 17 13:47:13 UTC 2008

Hi Stephen,

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 23:47 -0400, Stephen Amadei wrote:
> So, everything was running well, but now after testing somewhat, when I copy files to the GFS2 partition, the files larger than 2.9K, but smaller than 4.3K get nulled.

We're already aware of the problem and are working on it.
We know kind of what's going on and which set of patches
broke it.  Basically, we rewrote some of the block allocation
code for performance reasons and that's the bit having the problem.

It seems to be a problem only in the upstream code; the GFS2 code
in RHEL5.2 has the old allocation code, so it doesn't have the
problem.  So a fix shouldn't be too far off.  Part of the
problem, though, is that Steve Whitehouse is on holiday, so
we're short-handed and any fixes we develop would have to be
pushed to the git tree by him.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat Clustering & GFS