[Linux-cluster] gfs tuning

Wendy Cheng s.wendy.cheng at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 20:09:00 UTC 2008

Hi, Terry,

> I am still seeing some high load averages.  Here is an example of a
> gfs configuration.  I left statfs_fast off as it would not apply to
> one of my volumes for an unknown reason.  Not sure that would have
> helped anyways.  I do, however, feel that reducing scand_secs helped a
> little:

Sorry I missed scand_secs (was mindless as the brain was mostly occupied
by day time work).

To simplify the view, glock states include exclusive (write), share
(read), and not-locked (in reality, there are more). Exclusive lock has
to be demoted (demote_secs) to share, then to not-locked (another
demote_secs) before it is scanned (every scand_secs) to get added into
reclaim list where it can be purged. Between exclusive and share state
transition, the file contents need to get flushed to disk (to keep file
content cluster coherent).  All of above assume the file (protected by
this glock) is not accessed (idle).

You hit an area that GFS normally doesn't perform well. With GFS1 in
maintenance mode while GFS2 seems to be so far away, ext3 could be a
better answer. However, before switching, do make sure to test it
thoroughly (since Ext3 could have the very same issue as well - check
out: http://marc.info/?l=linux-nfs&m=121362947909974&w=2 ).

Did you look (and test) GFS "nolock" protocol (for single node GFS)? It
bypasses some locking overhead and can be switched to  DLM in the future
(just make sure you reserve enough journal space - the rule of thumb is
one journal per node and know how many nodes you plan to have in the
future).

-- Wendy