[Linux-cluster] RFC: updating cluster.conf

Fabio M. Di Nitto fdinitto at redhat.com
Tue Jun 24 12:15:17 UTC 2008

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008, David Teigland wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're looking into how cluster.conf updates should be done in future
> versions and we'd like some feedback about how you currently do this, and
> what you'd like to see.
>
> 1. How often do you update cluster.conf?  ("Never" would be valuable
>   feedback.)

Production: rarely if nodes are behaving properly and no switch to other
nodes is required

as developer, you know better than me.. virtually every 5 minutes :)

> 2. What changes do you make?  e.g. add nodes, change fencing settings,
>   add or change rgmanager settings.

Production: switch nodes, add/modify services.

> 3. How do you currently update cluster.conf?  Cluster online or offline?
>   Manually scp to all nodes?  ccs_tool?  conga?  What do you like and not
>   like about the method you use now?

Production: manually edit cluster.conf, ccs_tool to propagate across the
nodes. I like it because i can do the changes in one place and they are
propagated all over the cluster in one command.

as developer, i don't have a standard way of doing it. I often use scp
wrapper scripts since the configuration changes are done offline and
involves several nodes to be powered off or not available.

> 4. How would you like to do updates to cluster.conf in the future?
>   Conga (graphical management interface)?  Command line program that
>   updates /etc/cluster/cluster.conf on all cluster nodes?
>   Manually scp to all nodes?  Other?

For production I generally like the idea of changes in one place and then
automatic propagation and this generally fits also #5

> 5. Would you like to use an LDAP server?  All cluster nodes would read
>   cluster.conf info from the server; updates would just be made on
>   the server.

Yes. the main idea is to fire up a node without having to worry about a
local copy of a file and get all the info down the pipe.

_theoretically_ even a wget http://foo.bar.com/cluster.conf would do.

Fabio