[Linux-cluster] virtual machine failover with gfs

matt whiteley whiteley at pdx.edu
Thu Jun 26 21:51:09 UTC 2008

On Jun 25, 2008, at 4:41 PM, Joe Royall wrote:
> Why not use lvm backed vms, 1 per vm, share the entire partition
> with all the lvms via ISCSI to each dom0 and run clvm on the dom0s.
> The lvms do not need to be mounted in dom0.  You can then use RHCS
> to failover vms between dom0s.  Consider putting all the vms on a
> single node into a single resource group and only allow 1 group to
> operate on a single node.  You can then configure N+1 redundancy.
> --
> Joe Royall
> Red Hat Certified Architect

We already have all of the nodes attached to a san vi fibre channel,
so I would rather not just provide storage from the san through
another box as an iscsi target to these 4. It seems like it would add
a layer of complexity and performance bottlenecking.

It seems like I could do the first half of what you talk about,
instead of making a gfs filesystem in the clvm lv and using files
there for the vm backends, I could make multiple lvs in the clvm vg
and use one for each vm. This gets around using gfs at all, and I
could just have a resource per vm for it's lv. I am not sure how I
would specify this in cluster.conf so that the lv would get mounted on
the proper node that was going to run a vm. From what I have read, a
<vm> element can't be a child of a <service> element and there doesn't
seem to be any other way to define a relationship between the two.

Are all resources in a cluster only ever on one node at a time, or is
there a way to specify that a resource should be on more than one or
all nodes as they join a cluster?

I looked that the nfscookbook available from Red Hat and it seemed to
describe a similar problem, I could create 4 services for the same gfs
filesystem and have each in a failover domain for each node. At this
point this seems like not even a good problem to use gfs for, I got
the idea from that Red Hat Magazine article that seemed to be
describing the very problem I am trying to solve.

--
matt whiteley <whiteley at pdx.edu>