[Linux-cluster] Homebrew NAS Cluster

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 21:56:27 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm in the process of setting up a virtualisation farm which will have
50-60 virtual machines, running a wide range of web, application and
database applications, all on top of vmware vi3.

My budget won't stretch to a commercial NAS solution, so it's either a
SAN, which could get complicated and hard to manage with so many
nodes, or a home-brew NAS solution.

Has anyone done this, on the list?  I'm wondering what the catch is?
I'm thinking all I need to do is run NFS on top of a clustered
filesystem, and export to ESX.

I could use some pointers, gotchas, ideas and experiences.

Thanks!

S.